Monday, April 23, 2007

Sushi Hibiki Calgary

Wow I am terribly sorry everyone. I've been totaly awal working this last job. I did however find some time to live it up and have some fun. The latest bout of restaurant madness comes in the form of this beautiful little Japanese Sushi place just down the hill from me. Sushi Hibiki is in a great little location. On a major road that accomodates thousands of people everyday. Just off of a highway going into downtown, and nicely tucked away in between two eatries in the same strip mall.
When first entering this restaurant do not be suprised if they politely welcome you in the door using this term, Irasshaimase, which means, Welcome to our store. I love to see places that do that. We were quickly accomodated as our party was the only one in the store. Not a bad sign, considering we were also the last to leave.
When we recieved our sushi platter I was happy to see healthy helpings of both sabi and gari. Sadly when I asked "Guru sabi desu ka?" (asking for grated wasabi) she sadly hadn't. I have yet to find a place in calgary that has some. But my quest goes on. Although, they are deffinitivly a step up from the places with pink ginger.
We ordered a little bit of everything. Myself sticking to what I knew I liked I ordered some; shake, toro, hokkekai, ebi, gyu and tamago. Off of advice given at http://sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ 's blog I began trying out tamago, and just after a few shops I had seen the diffrence. Tamago at a larger place, which I am never returning to, was very sweet, but the tamago here was light, fluffy, not too sweet, and was quite good with a little bit of soy. All the other pieces were good. The guy was lightly seasoned which made it very nice, even had a little sabi on the underside, was suprised at the combo. Notice the little piece of green onion, mmmm.
We also had a mixed tempura bowl which was to the satisfaction of everyone.
The design that went on the terriaki chicken was apealing to the eye. Little pieces of red bell on a blue and white plate. I really liked that. And the chicken itself was so moist and well grilled. The taste wasn't overpowering and the sause was dryed and cooed on, nothing sloppy.
Now, usualy im very gun ho about ramen. I love the stuff. Make it at home all the time. But I think I might have missed the mark a little. Now I like my bonito flakes, and my nori (chopped into slivers) and a little shot of sake and as much soy as you like. But when I taste his, I was blown away. It was a very strong bonito flavor with just a little soy. It was very good, but it entirely changed my view on ramen.
The udon was as I expected it would be. Added some hot salts and away we go! A little soy for taste.
All in all a very good meal. Love the enviroment and being able to practice a little. I will be making this my signature place for the moment and I hope that the Itamae-san will eventualy make me a very enjoyable omakase.

Till the next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!