Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Osaka Sushi House on 16th Ave Calgary

Alright this is just a quick one, and I'll start this one with a story. My buddy KV comes to bug me at work every so often, we've known each other for so long and my boss is lenient towards him. He wants to go grab a quick bite down at Wa's on Center St. which has amazing sushi, a little pricey but well worth it. It's closed. So we try the Shakiji... also closed, at this point were wandering in and out of upper china town and through shopping centers, when it dawns on me, theres that little place beside the fish store in that strip mall. Off we go to The Osaka Sushi House. We walk in and are greeted by a larger Chinese man. We sit down in this quaint cafe style little shop. It advertises classes, sell gear and even have books on sushi.

After a little confusion over drink we peer over the menu. Right away we were both blown away by the prices! Most of my favorite pieces were 99 cents! Tamago, inari, Hokki, etc. Cones didin't go over 2.20$! So we get to ordering I'm not very hungry and plus I didn't have my camera so I go light. 5 pieces: Tamago; shake; Inari, Unagi and masago. Right off the get go the shake was not all that fresh. I also noticed a lack of freshness with the masago. The unagi was small and a little too crispy(overcooked/burned) and the inari wasn't nearly sweet enough. How ever, the tamago was not overly sweet, which was nice, but it wasn't quite sweet enough either. It did not mix well with the shoyu. The ginger was pink as well...

The presentation on the other hand was amazing! KV got his on a glass dish, a small 1 roll green plater and his cone in a 3 cone holder which looked really nice and displayed it very well.
All in all I'm not particularly impressed but at the same time I'm not dissapointed. Taking everything into account I am going back to take picture. The price was right for the quality, and the portions were good. It's not a good place for a date but for a hungry man on a budget it will satisfy. I give this place a 6.5 out of 10. It looses points for quality but gains in price. It gets points for the set up and creative design, but looses points on freshness.

I'm also on the look out for 4 other local people who want to take a sushi class. Osaka offers a sushi class that cost 30$ all supplies included and you get to take home your entire tray(family of 6 style HUGE). If anyones interested leave me a comment containing your email address and I'll get back to you.

Till the next! Mata ne!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright this is just a quick one, and I'll start this one with a story. My buddy KV comes to bug me at work every so often, we've known each other for so long and my boss is lenient towards him. He wants to go grab a quick bite down at Wa's on Center St. which has amazing sushi, a little pricey but well worth it. It's closed. So we try the Shikiji... also closed, at this point were wandering in and out of upper Chinatown and through shopping centers, when it dawns on me, there's that little place beside the fish store in that strip mall; off we go to The Osaka Sushi House. We walk in and are greeted by a large Chinese man. We sit down in this quaint cafe-style little shop. It advertises classes, sells gear and even has books on sushi.

After a little confusion over drinks we peer over the menu. Right away we were both blown away by the prices! Most of my favorite pieces were 99 cents! Tamago, Inari, Hokki, etc. Cones didn't go over 2.20$! So we get to ordering. I'm not very hungry and plus I didn't have my camera so I go light. Five pieces: Tamago; Shake; Inari, Unagi and Masago. Right off the get go the Shake was not all that fresh. I also noticed a lack of freshness with the Masago. The Unagi was small and a little too crispy(overcooked/burned) and the Inari wasn't nearly sweet enough. However, the Tamago was not overly sweet, which was nice, but it wasn't quite sweet enough either. It did not mix well with the Shoyu. The ginger was pink as well...

The presentation, on the other hand, was amazing! KV got his on a glass dish, a small one roll green platter and his cone in a 3 cone holder which looked really nice and displayed it very well.
All in all I'm not particularly impressed but at the same time I'm not dissapointed. Taking everything into account I am going back to take pictures and to take his class(?). The price was right for the quality, and the portions were good. It's not a good place for a date but for a hungry man on a budget it will satisfy. I give this place a 6.5 out of 10. It loses points for quality but gains in price. It gets points for the set up and creative design, but loses points on freshness.

Jeff R. said...

Well... that was a little redundant but I was able to find the "question". Yes, Osaka Sushi offers a sushi making class. It's 30$ and you need 5 people minimum to get it together.
I've edited the post so that it makes a little more sense.